Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY, USA.
HSS J. 2009 Sep;5(2):83-91. doi: 10.1007/s11420-009-9120-0. Epub 2009 Jun 9.
When World War II ended in 1945, the Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS), the oldest orthopedic hospital in the country, was entering its eighth decade. Only 5 years previously, its name was changed from the Hospital for the Ruptured and Crippled (R & C). In 1934, Dr. Philip D. Wilson (1886-1969) had been recruited to fill the office of the fifth Surgeon-in-Chief with a key charge to restore the hospital as the leading orthopedic institution in our country, a role it originally held for over half a century since its founding in 1863. Wilson believed that a close affiliation with a university center having a medical school and hospital, while maintaining independence, was vital to achieve this objective. In 1948, negotiations between representatives of the Board of the New York Society for the Relief of the Ruptured and Crippled and representatives of the Society of the New York Hospital and Cornell Medical Center began and a preliminary written agreement was reached in March, the next year. The affiliation called for construction of a new building to house approximately 170 inpatient beds for orthopedics and arthritis. The land on the East River between 70th and 71st Streets, owned by New York Hospital, was to be given, without monetary exchange, to the Hospital for Special Surgery for construction of its new hospital. Finally, on November 1, 1951, a new non-proximate agreement was ratified. On May 25, 1955, after 43 years at 321 East 42nd Street, the Hospital for Special Surgery moved to its new six million dollar building at 535 East 70th Street where it formally became affiliated with New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center. Two months later, on July 1, 1955, Philip D. Wilson retired as Surgeon-in-Chief to become the Hospital for Special Surgery's new Director of Research and Surgeon-in-Chief Emeritus.
第二次世界大战于 1945 年结束时,美国最古老的骨科医院——特殊外科医院(HSS)已经进入了它的第八十个年头。就在五年前,它的名字从“破裂和畸形医院(R & C)”改为了现在的名字。1934 年,菲利普·D·威尔逊博士(1886-1969 年)被招募来担任第五任外科主任,他的主要任务是恢复这家医院作为我国领先的骨科机构的地位,这是它自 1863 年成立以来半个多世纪以来一直扮演的角色。威尔逊认为,与拥有医学院和医院的大学中心建立紧密联系,同时保持独立性,对于实现这一目标至关重要。1948 年,纽约救济破裂和畸形协会董事会代表与纽约医院和康奈尔医疗中心协会代表开始谈判,并于次年 3 月达成初步书面协议。该协议要求建造一座新大楼,为骨科和关节炎患者提供约 170 张住院病床。纽约医院拥有的东河 70 街和 71 街之间的土地将无偿赠送给特殊外科医院,用于建造新医院。最后,1951 年 11 月 1 日,一项新的非临近协议获得批准。1955 年 5 月 25 日,特殊外科医院在东 42 街 321 号的旧址上运营了 43 年后,搬到了东 70 街 535 号的新的六百万美元大楼,正式与纽约医院-康奈尔医疗中心建立了附属关系。两个月后,1955 年 7 月 1 日,菲利普·D·威尔逊博士退休,成为特殊外科医院的新研究主任和名誉外科主任。